Couscous Salad with Dried Cherries
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
An interesting and delightful combination of flavors in this couscous salad.
- Couscous Salad:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (see below)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- For the salad. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Combine the couscous, dried cherries, carrots, cucumber, scallions and pine nuts in a salad bowl. Add the Balsamic Vinaigrette, salt and pepper and mix well. Chill until serving time.
- For the dressing. Whisk the vinegar, olive oil and Dijon mustard in a small bow.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s Wild! Wonderful! (The Junior League of Wheeling, Inc., 2003).