Couscous Salad with Dried Cherries
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Couscous Salad:
- 1cup chicken broth
- 3/4cup couscous
- 1/2cup dried cherries
- 1/2cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1/4cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4cup pine nuts
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (see below)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 3tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- For the salad. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Combine the couscous, dried cherries, carrots, cucumber, scallions and pine nuts in a salad bowl. Add the Balsamic Vinaigrette, salt and pepper and mix well. Chill until serving time.
- For the dressing. Whisk the vinegar, olive oil and Dijon mustard in a small bow.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s Wild! Wonderful! (The Junior League of Wheeling, Inc., 2003).