Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 3/4cups (14 ounces) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4cup water
- 1 1/3cups whole-wheat couscous (7 1/2-ounce box)
- 1/2cup chopped dried dates
- 5tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1cup roughly chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2cup minced red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2cup shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3cup finely chopped fresh mint
- Mint sprigs and lemon slices (optional)
- Combine chicken broth and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in dates with a fork and replace lid for at least 3 minutes to soften dates.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large serving bowl. Add couscous and toss to coat.
- Stir in red pepper, onion, beans, pistachios and mint. Garnish with mint sprigs and lemon, if using. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by Serena Ball.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 459
- Fat 17g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0g
- Sodium 575mg
- Carbohydrate 69g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugars 17g
- Protein 14g