Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 30 minutes
- Cook 15 minutes
Whole-wheat couscous is a delicious, nutty whole grain that's easy to prepare. Serve this veggie-packed salad as a side to chicken or beef or a vegetarian main course.
- 1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat couscous (7 1/2-ounce box)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried dates
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- Mint sprigs and lemon slices (optional)
- Combine chicken broth and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in dates with a fork and replace lid for at least 3 minutes to soften dates.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large serving bowl. Add couscous and toss to coat.
- Stir in red pepper, onion, beans, pistachios and mint. Garnish with mint sprigs and lemon, if using. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by Serena Ball.