Country Spinach, Tomato and White Bean Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 8 minutes
- Cook: 27 minutes
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1large onion
- 2medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 1can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1can (15 ounce) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1quart vegetable broth
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 5 ounce container whole fresh baby spinach leaves or 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more, stirring often.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juice, beans, broth, thyme, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the spinach, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper to taste. Cook just until the spinach is wilted, 2 minutes more. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Joy of Kosher. Copyright 2013, William Morrow.