Country Skillet Rice Casserole
- Yield: servings
- 1/2cup water
- 2/3cup uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 2cups small broccoli florets
- 1medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can 98 percent fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 10 minutes, adding the broccoli, bell pepper, and corn during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, combine the soup, mayonnaise, and curry in a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until warm.
- Spoon the soup mixture over the rice mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and cook, covered, 1 minute to melt cheese slightly.
Cook’s Note: To save time, prep the veggies while the rice is cooking during the first 5 minutes. To thaw frozen corn quickly, place in a colander and run under cold water 15 to 20 seconds, making sure to shake off the extra liquid.