Country Chicken Soup
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2cups chopped carrots
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 3pounds chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3cups canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 3quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
- 2tablespoons rubbed sage
- 12ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions, celery and carrots in the olive oil in a 3-gallon saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, peas, bouillon and sage and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through and ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Biltmore Company, Biltmore, Our Table to Yours, Chef’s Selection Cookbook (The Biltmore Compan,y 2007).