Country Chicken Soup
- Yield 12 servings
Chicken, spinach and black-eyed peas combine to make a hearty soup.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 12 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions, celery and carrots in the olive oil in a 3-gallon saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, peas, bouillon and sage and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through and ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Biltmore Company, Biltmore, Our Table to Yours, Chef’s Selection Cookbook (The Biltmore Compan,y 2007).