Country Cheddar Muffins
- Yield: 10 pieces
- 1 3/4cups flour
- 1/3cup cornmeal
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4cups (5-ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
- 1cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3tablespoons grainy mustard (optional)
- 6tablespoons butter, melted
- 1tablespoon mixed herbs, chopped fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese; toss.
- In small bowl whisk milk, egg and mustard. Add to flour mixture with butter and herbs. Mix just to blend.
- Spoon into 10 paper-lined or buttered 2 3/4-inch muffin tin cups. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until springy to the touch and pick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board