Country Cheddar Muffins
- Yield 10 pieces
These cheesy muffins are full of flavor and make a great accompaniment to soups and stews.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (5-ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs, chopped fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese; toss.
- In small bowl whisk milk, egg and mustard. Add to flour mixture with butter and herbs. Mix just to blend.
- Spoon into 10 paper-lined or buttered 2 3/4-inch muffin tin cups. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until springy to the touch and pick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board