- Yield: 120 pieces
- 1 1/2pounds sugar
- 1-- (16-ounce) bottle plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2pints heavy cream
- 1cup evaporated milk
- 6tablespoons butter
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- -- chopped nuts (optional)
- 4-- (1-ounce) squares chocolate, melted (optional)
- Cook sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a 6-quart pan until candy thermometer reads 230F.
- While boiling, slowly add cream and evaporated milk, stirring constantly until thermometer reads 240F.
- Add butter, vanilla, and nuts.
- (Optional: For chocolate caramels, add melted chocolate.)
- Pour in a buttered 9×13-inch pan.
- Cool. Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Wrap pieces in waxed paper.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s Applehood & Motherpie (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., 1981).