Cabbage with Buttery Crumb Topping
- Yield: 8 servings
"My mother truly enjoyed cooking for her family, and this casserole was one of her favorites. She loved sharing it with friends in her beauty shop. I know she would be happy that others have the chance to sample it too."
- 1small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds total), chopped
- 1cup chopped onion
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4cup mayonnaise
- 1cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 sleeve butter crackers, crushed (about 34 crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the cabbage in a greased 9-inch square baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the onion. Pour 1/4 cup of the melted butter on top and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Combine the soup and mayonnaise in a medium bowl; mix well. Spread evenly over the cabbage mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, the Cheddar, and crushed crackers in the same bowl. Sprinkle the cracker mixture on top of the cabbage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
—Joy Parker, Covington, Ga.