Cabbage with Buttery Crumb Topping
- Yield 8 servings
Fresh cabbage is cooked in a creamy sauce and topped with buttery cracker crumbs.
"My mother truly enjoyed cooking for her family, and this casserole was one of her favorites. She loved sharing it with friends in her beauty shop. I know she would be happy that others have the chance to sample it too."
- 1 small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds total), chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 sleeve butter crackers, crushed (about 34 crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the cabbage in a greased 9-inch square baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the onion. Pour 1/4 cup of the melted butter on top and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Combine the soup and mayonnaise in a medium bowl; mix well. Spread evenly over the cabbage mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, the Cheddar, and crushed crackers in the same bowl. Sprinkle the cracker mixture on top of the cabbage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
—Joy Parker, Covington, Ga.