Country Bean Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Great fall soup that goes well with warm crusty bread.
- 1 1/4 cups dried cannellini
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 -- ribs celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cabbage (optional)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- -- Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Sort and rinse the beans. Combine the beans with a generous amount of water in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Let stand for 8 to 10 hours; drain. Stir in 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain the beans and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the butter and oil in the Dutch oven until the butter melts. Add the onion, carrots, parsley, celery and garlic and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beans, broth, cabbage, macaroni, bay leaf and thyme.
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Bristol, TN/VA, Start Your Ovens, Cooking the Way it Ought'a Be from the Junior Leage of Bristol (The Junior Leage of Bristol, TN/VA 2001)