- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Lots of "1s, 2s and 3s" plus alphabet noodles, all in a row, make this kid-friendly soup a tasty kitchen game for little helpers.
For a meat-free version use vegetarian broth in place of the chicken broth.
- 2 cups peas, fresh and lightly steamed, or frozen
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups firm tofu cubes
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces and steamed until tender
- 2/3 cup alphabet noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups vegetable broth, heated
- Place frozen peas, if using, in a colander and run under room-temperature tap water to thaw. Drain thoroughly; transfer to a bowl. Repeat with frozen corn.
- Place all ingredients except the broth in separate bowls. Arrange bowls on the table in the following order: tofu, carrots, peas, corn, green beans and noodles. Place a regular dinner spoon in each bowl.
- Let the children go through the line with a medium-size soup bowl, counting in the prescribed number of spoonfuls of each ingredient: 1 spoon tofu, 2 spoons carrots, 3 spoons peas, 4 spoons corn, 5 green beans, 6 spoons noodles.
- Ladle warm broth over the top.
Recipe by Mollie Katzen