Cornmeal Pancakes with Cranberry-Maple Syrup
- Yield: 10 pieces
- 1 1/2cups fresh or thawed cranberries
- 1cup maple syrup
- 1/2cup cornmeal
- 1/2cup boiling water
- 1/2cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1/2tablespoon baking powder
- 1/16teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 2tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- To prepare syrup, heat cranberries and maple syrup together in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly. Cook until cranberries pop and mixture thickens. Syrup can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge, covered, for a month. This syrup is also great on ice cream.
- Combine cornmeal and boiling water in a bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together milk, egg and butter. Add cornmeal and stir.
- Whisk cornmeal mixture into flour mixture.
- Spray griddle with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto griddle (1/4-cup per pancake) and cook over medium heat, flipping when tiny bubbles appear in the pancake. Continue cooking until golden on each side. Serve with the rhubarb-maple syrup.
Recipe by Meg Favreau
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 186
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 29mg
- Sodium 85mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 3g