Cornmeal Crusted Grouper
- Yield 4 servings
This lightly breaded grouper topped with okra tomato ragout is delicious.
- 4 -- (8-ounce) grouper, tilapia, salmon or flounder fillets
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Okra Tomato Ragout:
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 small red or Bermuda onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 -- tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fish stock or shrimp stock
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- For the grouper, coat the grouper in a mixture of the cornmeal, salt, pepper and cumin. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the grouper. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Set the skillet aside. Remove the grouper to a baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- For the ragout, place the okra and onion in the skillet used for cooking the fish. Saute until tender. Add the garlic, cilantro and tomatoes. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the fish stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Add the butter and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- To serve, arrange the grouper on dinner plates. Spoon the ragout over the fish. Serve with yellow rice or grits.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Jacksonville’s Toast of the Coast (The Junior League of Jacksonville, Inc., 2005).