Cornmeal Cinnamon Pancakes
- Yield 2 servings
These flapjacks are updated to include cornmeal and whole-wheat flour, but the sweet spices still carry you back to childhood.
- 1 cup milk, almond milk or rice milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, cut into small dice
- Place diced apples in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Mix together and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir together until there are no lumps, but being careful not to overbeat. Add the apples.
- Coat a frying pan with oil or cooking spray and bring to medium-high heat. Pour a scoop of the mixture in the center and cook until small bubbles appear in the top surface. Using a spatula, flip the pancake and cook for another minute. Remove to a plate. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve immediately along with good maple syrup and preserved or fresh fruit.