Cornbread with Pepper Jack Cheese and Jalapenos
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slivers
- 1 1/2cups buttermilk or regular milk
- 2 eggs
- 3tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1cup yellow or white stone-ground cornmeal
- 1cup cup all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1cup coarsely grated pepper Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brown bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a mixing bowl, leaving fat in pan.
- Add buttermilk, egg and butter to bacon and whisk to mix. Whisk in cornmeal, flour, brown sugar baking powder, baking soda, salt and jalapeños. Stir in cheese. You want a pourable batter; add 1⁄4 cup more buttermilk if needed. Spoon batter into pan and place in oven.
- Bake until cornbread is puffed and browned and starts to pull away from the side of pan, 25 to 30 minutes. Cornbread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan about 5 minutes, then cut into 8 wedges for serving.
Recipe posted with permission from Steven Raichlen’s Man Made Meals (Workman Publishing Co., 2014).