- Yield 4 servings
The tofu is marinated in a wonderful blend of flavors, then stuffed with a tasty cornbread stuffing.
- Marinated Tofu:
- 2 -- (1-pound) blocks firm or extra firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup waer
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Cornbread Stuffing:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, soy margarine or butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf sage
- 4 cups crumbled stale cornbread or corn muffins
- 1 cup vegetable broth plus more is needed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- -- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- To make tofu: Cut blocks in half lengthwise. Working from a long side of each block, scoop out some tofu with a teaspoon, leaving a cavity in each of four halves for stuffing. Save scooped tofu for another purpose such as a stir-fry or soup. Combine tamari, water, oil, vinegar and herbs. Add scooped-out blocks of tofu, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight, if possible.
- To make stuffing: Heat oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and sage. Saute 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add crumbled cornbread to pan and mix well. Pour broth over cornbread and combine well. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Stuffing should be moist and able to be scooped. You can add a bit more water or broth, if needed.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 350F. Divide stuffing among tofu shells and press gently into cavities you created. Place in a baking dish and bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and heated through. Serve.