- Yield 10 servings
A layered salad, filled with corn, red and green pepper, and pinto beans, all topped with cheese and crumbled bacon
"This is one of my family favorites and has been in my family for a long time."
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 envelope ranch-style dressing mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Bake cornbread mix according to package instructions and crumble.
- Combine ranch-style dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together peppers, onion, tomatoes, pinto beans and corn.
- In a 3-quart salad bowl, layer 1/2 of the cornbread, 1/2 of the vegetables, 1/2 of the cheese, 1/2 of the bacon and 1/2 of the dressing.
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Use low or no-fat sour cream and mayonnaise to reduce the calories in this dish.
– Eva Mae Clark, Easton, Ill.