Cornbread and Rice Dressing
- Yield 16 to 20 servings
A low-calorie dressing perfect for holiday meals.
Prepare the cornbread, wild rice, and boil the eggs ahead to make putting it together quicker.
- 2 (6-ounce) packages long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) box cornbread mix
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 hard boiled eggs, whites only, chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) cans mushrooms, stems and pieces, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions, omitting the margarine and salt. Prepare the cornbread according to package directions. Crumble the cornbread.
- In a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the celery, green peppers, green onions, and onion until tender. Pour into a large bowl and combine with the cooked rice, crumbled cornbread, egg whites, mushrooms, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the dressing in the baking dish and bake 45 minutes.