Corn Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Make this soup up to three days before serving, so that the flavors have a chance to meld.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- Fried Corn Tortillas:
- 8 -- corn tortillas, thin
- -- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- To prepare the soup, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion. Saute theonion until translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, salt, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and cool slightly. Shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add the corn to the soup. Simmer until the corn is tender. Add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Service with fried corn tortillas
- To prepare the tortillas, cut the tortillas into strips.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet to 350 degrees. Fry the tortilla strips in batches for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)