Corn Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 2teaspoons cumin
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 6cups chicken stock
- 1-- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 2large chicken breasts
- 1 1/2cups corn
- Fried Corn Tortillas:
- 8-- corn tortillas, thin
- -- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- To prepare the soup, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion. Saute theonion until translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, salt, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and cool slightly. Shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add the corn to the soup. Simmer until the corn is tender. Add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Service with fried corn tortillas
- To prepare the tortillas, cut the tortillas into strips.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet to 350 degrees. Fry the tortilla strips in batches for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)