- Yield: 8 servings
"I live in a tiny rural New Mexico community. It is not unusual to see large corn fields in the fall, so this dish blends in with the season and our lifestyle."
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained, or 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 (6-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons minced onion
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 2cups coarsely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 (12-ounce) package diced pepper Jack or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Beat eggs slightly in a large bowl. Stir in whole kernel corn (no need to drain) and cream-style corn. Add evaporated milk, butter, onion and pepper. Fold in cracker crumbs and diced cheese.
- Spoon corn mixture into dish. Bake 1 hour or until set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Serves 8.
Recipe by Mickey Carlucci, Peralta, N.M.