Corn Bread Taco Bake
- Yield 6 servings
A corn bread crust surrounds a cheesy mixture of fresh corn, chopped green pepper, crunch french fried onions
When I need a fast meal for unexpected guests, I always use this recipe. I usually have the ingredients on hand. All I need to complete the meal is a big salad. It is enjoyed by all.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (12-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 (2.8-ounce) can french fried onions
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brown beef in a skillet and drain. Stir in taco seasoning, water, corn, pepper, and tomato sauce.
- Pour into a 7-by-12-inch glass dish or 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix corn muffin mix according to package directions, then stir in one-half can onions.
- Spoon corn muffin mixture around outer edge of casserole. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, take out of oven, and sprinkle cheese and remaining onions on the corn muffin topping.
- Bake 2 to 3 minutes.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This recipe was quick to make and tasty. Try adding one 12-ounce can of kidney, chili, or black beans to add fiber and more flavor. One tablespoon each cumin and chili powder may be substituted for the taco seasoning. Also, several tablespoons of fresh, chopped cilantro add more flavor.
—Bettie Wedlock, Maryville, MO