Corn and Orzo Salad with Arugula Pesto
- Yield 8 servings
The arugula pesto adds a peppery bite to sweet corn.
If your cucumber is bitter, you may want to peel it before chopping and adding to the salad, especially if you plan to have leftovers.
- Arugula Pesto:
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (about 1 ounce)
- 1 1/2 cups packed arugula
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 -- garlic clove, pressed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into small cubes (about 1 medium cucumber)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise into wedges
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- To prepare pesto, place walnuts in processor and finely chop. Add arugula and parsley; pulse to coarsely chop. With motor running, add garlic, oil, lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper and process until blended.
- To prepare salad, cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain well. Transfer to a large bowl. Add corn, pesto and cucumber and mix gently. Spoon onto serving plates and garnish with tomatoes and feta.
—Recipe by Jean Kressy.