Corn and Cheddar Spoon Bread
- Yield servings
This healthy, homey dish, spiked with fresh corn and extra-sharp cheddar cooks up soft and golden with the satisfaction of corn bread and the lightness of a soufflé.
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen thawed corn kernels
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, yolks and white separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, corn, cornmeal, and salt over medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add the egg yolks to the cornmeal mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed, 1 to 2 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the corn mixture until just incorporated and pour into the prepared dish. Bake until browned on top and set but still slightly loose in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Serves 6
Recipe reprinted with permission from Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger (Wiley Hardcover, $29.99)