Corn and Cheddar Biscuits
- Yield 1
These tasty biscuits are loaded with sweet corn, onions and cheese.
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the shortening with your fingers until incorporated.
- Add the green onions, corn and Cheddar cheese and mix well with your fingers. Add the buttermilk and stir lightly just until mixed; do not overmix.
- Place on a floured surface and pat 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 2 to 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter in additional flour before each cut.
- Place close together but not touching on a baking parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with some of the butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush again with the remaining butter.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Biltmore Company, Biltmore, Our Table to Yours, Chef’s Selection Cookbook (The Biltmore Company, 2007).