Corn and Cheddar Biscuits
- Yield: 1
- 1/3cup cornmeal
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup cake flour
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2bunch green onions, chopped
- 3/4cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4cup (3 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the shortening with your fingers until incorporated.
- Add the green onions, corn and Cheddar cheese and mix well with your fingers. Add the buttermilk and stir lightly just until mixed; do not overmix.
- Place on a floured surface and pat 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 2 to 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter in additional flour before each cut.
- Place close together but not touching on a baking parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with some of the butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush again with the remaining butter.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Biltmore Company, Biltmore, Our Table to Yours, Chef’s Selection Cookbook (The Biltmore Company, 2007).