Coq Au Vin Nouveau
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Fruity, white wine flavors the broth in this new take on a classic chicken dish.
Serve this savory dish with rice, noodles or roasted potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces lean smoked ham, chopped
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces crimini or white mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup fruity white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 (14-ounce) can lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 celery stalks, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add ham and sauté 5 minutes. Remove.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Cook chicken in same pan until brown. Remove.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Add wine, chicken broth, carrots, celery, thyme and reserved chicken and ham. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove cover; cook about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel