Coq au Vin Blanc
- Yield servings
- 1 whole 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 12 whole pearl onions, peeled
- 8 ounces small button mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored, chopped into chunks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup apple brandy, like Calvados (or 1/4c apple juice)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Put flour into shallow dish and stir in salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, patting off excess. In large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add chicken and brown all sides. Transfer chicken to large, oven-proof casserole dish with cover.
Add garlic and pearl onions to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant but not at all brown. Add apple brandy to pan, tip pan to ignite brandy and let alcohol burn off. When flame dies, add white wine to pan. Use wooden spoon to scrape any bits off bottom of pan. Transfer garlic and onion mixture to casserole; add apples, mushrooms and thyme. Cover and bake in oven for 45 minutes until chicken is tender.