Coq Au Vin from Delish Family Slow Cooker
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 8 hours
- 20-- spring onions or large scallions
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 6strip bacon, sliced thinly
- 14ounces button mushrooms
- 2cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 3/4pounds whole chicken
- 2cups dry red wine
- 2medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- 3-- dried bay leaves
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- 2sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1/4cup tomato paste
- 1/4cup corn starch
- 2tablespoons water
- Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 1½ inches of stem attached; trim roots leaving onions intact. Heat half the oil in large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over, remove from pan.
- Add bacon, mushrooms, and garlic to same pan; cook, stirring, until bacon is crisp, remove from pan.
- Cut chicken into 12 pieces. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over; drain on paper towels. Add wine to same pan; bring to a boil, stirring.
- Place chicken in 4½-quart slow cooker with onions, bacon, and mushroom mixture, carrot, herbs, stock, wine mixture, and paste. Cook, covered, on low, 7 hours.
- Stir in blended corn starch and the water; cook, covered, on high, about 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste.
Tips: Use chicken pieces if you prefer, such as 6 thighs and 6 drumsticks, or ask your butcher to cut the chicken into 12 serving pieces for you. Use shallots instead of spring onions, if you like.
Serving suggestion: Serve coq au vin over creamy mashed potatoes drizzled with some of the sauce; accompany with a green salad.
Reprinted with permission from Delish Family Slow Cooker: Easy, Delicious Meals © 2012 by Hearst Communications, Inc., Photography by Ian Wallace.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 658
- Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Fiber 5.1 g
- Protein 47.8 g