Cookies and Cream Gooey Cake
- Yield: 24 servings
Save a step by using prepared whipped topping instead of whipping the cream yourself.
- 1 (15.25-oz) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1/2cup (1 stick) plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, room temperature, divided
- 4 eggs, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, divided
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4teaspoon instant coffee
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2cups heavy cream
- 10 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos), crumbled, plus 10 to 12 whole cookies, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper and spray paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, ½ cup melted butter and 2 eggs until well combined. Pat into bottom of prepared pan.
- Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, cream cheese, 2 eggs, cocoa and instant coffee in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer using a whisk attachment on low speed. When blended, turn mixer speed to high. Add 2 Tbsp melted butter, vanilla extract and salt and continue beating until well blended.
- Pour batter onto cake mix layer and spread evenly. Bake 27 to 33 minutes (the center should still be gooey and will look under-baked). Let cool to room temperature in pan.
- Chill a mixing bowl and whisk attachment (or hand whisk) in refrigerator 15 minutes. Place heavy cream and 2 Tbsp powdered sugar in chilled bowl and whip until soft peaks begin to form. Add half of the cookie crumbs and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top of cooled cake. Sprinkle remaining cookie crumbs on top. Cut cake into slices. Place a half cookie in the center of each slice.
Note: This cake tastes best at room temperature. Store it in the refrigerators and take it out 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 315
- Fat 20g
- Cholesterol 76mg
- Sodium 249mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 23g
- Protein 3g