- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1 cup)
- 1medium carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1pound lean or extra-lean (90% lean or higher) ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes, with their juices
- 2cups water
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced, plus 2 teaspoons of the sauce
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2cups frozen corn kernels
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrot, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and continue cooking, partially covered, 20 minutes longer, until the chili is nicely thickened. Stir in the corn and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
—Copyright Ellie Krieger 2008 All rights reserved.