- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Island Tartar Sauce:
- 1/4cup mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon pickled jalapeno slices, drained and chopped
- 1tablespoon minced red onion
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-- egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3cup milk
- 1-- Bermuda onion, chopped
- 1small garlic clove, minced
- 1-- tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1-- green bell pepper, or 1 or 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1pound uncooked conch meat, cut into chunks
- -- salt and pepper to taste
- -- oil for deep-frying
- -- lime wedges
- To prepare the tartar sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, jalapeno slices, onion, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl and mix well. Chill, covered, until serving time.
- To prepare the fritters. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the egg and half the milk; mix well. Add the rest of the milk, onion, garlic, tomato and green pepper gradually, beating just until mixed; do not overbeat.
- Pat the conch dry and season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip into the batter, coating well. Deep-fry in heated oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Serve with the tartar sauce and lime wedges.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Bermuda Junior Service League’s Island Thyme (Hamilton HM FX, Bermuda, 2005).