- Yield: 30 pieces
These wafers can be made ahead of time and frozen—perfect anytime you need a nibble.
- 1stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2pound Comté, shredded (about 3 heaping cups shredded)
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 to 2teaspoon water
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the softened butter and shredded Comté. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and cayenne. Stir the dry ingredients into the cheese mixture and mix until well combined. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water, just until the dough holds together when pressed in the palm of the hand.
- Shape the dough into a large roll, about 9-10 inches long. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour and up to 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 1/4-inch thick wafers and line them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack for 15 to 17 minutes, or until light golden around the edges. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve or freeze for up to 1 month (defrost at room temperature or in a toaster oven before serving).