Comté Cheese Fondue
- Yield: 4 servings
This fondue is made with rich, nutty Comté cheese. You can buy Comté cheese at most supermarkets and at Costco.
- 1pound mature Comté (preferably 10-18 months), shredded (about 5 cups shredded)
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine (preferably Jura wine)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality crusty bread, cut or town into bite-sized pieces
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded Comté and cornstarch until well combined.
- Rub the inside of fondue pot with cut sides of garlic. Discard garlic. Add wine and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add a quarter of the Comté and stir until melted. Continue stirring in cheese, a quarter at a time, until melted. Cook, stirring, until fondue is completely smooth and richly coats the back of a spoon. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the hot fondue with crusty bread for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of the Comté Cheese Association/Nicki Sizemore.