Comté and Tomato Gratin
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Serve this gratin as a side dish with fish or grilled meat, or on its own with some crusty bread for mopping up those mouthwatering juices.
- Olive oil for dish
- 4ounces Comté, shredded (2 scant cups shredded)
- 1/2cup fresh breadcrumbs (preferably from a day-old baguette)
- 1tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2pounds tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 500F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish lightly with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, toss together the Comté, breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Layer the tomato slices in the baking dish, overlapping them slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Comté topping evenly over the tomatoes.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until the topping is light golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.