Comté and Sweet Potato “Soufflé”
- Yield: 6 servings
Sweet potatoes get whipped together with spices, eggs, cream and Comté cheese right in the food processor, then baked with a sprinkling of extra Comté and pecans on top.
- 3pounds sweet potatoes (2 to 3 large potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 6tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 3large eggs
- 4ounces Comté, shredded (2 scant cups shredded)
- 1/4cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and immediately transfer them to a food processor with the butter. Process until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pepper and heavy cream, along with 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse until mixed. Add the eggs and process until light and fluffy. Add half of the Comté and pulse until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared casserole dish; smooth out the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining Comté over the top, followed by the chopped pecans. Bake 20 minutes, or until puffed and light golden around the edges.