Colorful Pasta Salad
- Yield 20 servings
"When we entertain our large family - four children, their spouses, 14 grandchildren, and two great-grandsons, they request this favorite pasta salad. It goes well with any type meat dish. Leftovers keep well."
- 1 (12-ounce) package tri-color spiral pasta
- 1 (16-ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and cut in half
- 1 (14-ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can wax beans, drained
- (15-ounce) can dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 3/4 cups chopped Roma tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool quickly. Shake to drain excess liquid. Place in a very large bowl.
- Add the olives, beans, onions, tomatoes, and pepper to the pasta; mix well.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a jar with a lid. Close tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Pour over the salad and toss gently. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
Recipe by Claudia Stubblefield, Lebanon, Mo.