Colorful Couscous Stuffed Style Red Peppers
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 minutes
- Cook 20 minutes
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat or plain couscous
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 6 ounces canned drained sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted*
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Preheat broiler to high. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds, membranes and cores. Place skin side up on a large foil lined large baking sheet. place baking sheet under broiler about 6 inches from heat source and broil 4 minutes. Turn over and broil 4 minutes more. Peppers should be slightly charred but still firm. Turn oven on 350F.
- 2Meanwhile in a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add couscous and stir often for 1 minute to lightly toast. Pour in chicken broth, sprinkle top with green onions, and raisins; cover with lid, remove from heat and set aside until all liquid is absorbed. When couscous is done sprinkle top with olives, lemon juice and lemon peel; use a fork to fluff and mix ingredients into couscous. Gently fluff in feta cheese, walnuts and mint.
- Place pepper skin side down in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish the spoon couscous mixture into each. Bake peppers until warmed through about 17 minutes.
*NOTE-to toast walnuts place in small skillet over medium heat. Shake skillet often until walnuts are golden all over about 4 minutes.