Colorful Chicken Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This tasty and colorful dish will liven up any family dinner.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 7 to 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 -- (4-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 to 2 cup (4- to 8-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Saute the celery, bell pepper and onion in the butter in a large skillet until tender. Add the broth, corn kernels, peas, salt and pepper; cook until heated through. Stir in the chicken and spaghetti. Divide the mixture between two 8×8-inch greased baking dishes (or use a 9×13-inch baking dish for the entire mixture). Top with the mushrooms and cheese. Wrap one casserole tightly and freeze for future use. Bake second casserole, covered, at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer. Note: Bake the frozen casserole, covered, at 350F for 35 minutes. Uncover the bake for 15 mintues longer or until heated through.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League of Grand Junction's Celebrate Colorado West of the Rockies (Junior Service League of Grand Junction, Colorado, 2005).