Cold Crab Gumbo
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/4cup chopped green pepper
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4cups sliced fresh okra
- 8cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2cup white long grain rice
- 1 1/4cups lump crab meat, shelled and cartilage removed
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute celery, onion and green pepper in butter until vegetables are soft.
- Add okra, chicken broth, tomatoes and rice.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. Cool and refrigerate.
- Stir in crab meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve well chilled.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Annapolis’ Of Tide Thyme(the Junior League of Annapolis, Maryland, 1995).