- Yield 4 servings
Potatoes, cabbage and reduced-fat chicken or turkey sausage star in this Irish soup.
- 1 1/3 pounds 4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 -- 14-ounce) can nonfat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- -- Salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces smoked chicken or turkey sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup 1 percent milk (about)
- -- Pepper
- In 3-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with broth and water; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add cabbage and onion. Sauté 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add sausage; continue to sauté, about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until vegetables and sausage begin to brown. Add carrot; set aside.
- With slotted spoon, remove about 3Ž4 cup potato pieces and add to skillet. In electric blender, blend remaining potatoes and liquid until smooth, being careful to hold blender lid down with kitchen towel; return to saucepan. Add contents of skillet; mix in enough milk for consistency desired. Heat to simmering. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 6 cups