- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/3pounds 4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 14-ounce) can nonfat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup water
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 3cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 3/4cup finely chopped onion
- 8ounces smoked chicken or turkey sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2cup 1 percent milk (about)
- In 3-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with broth and water; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add cabbage and onion. Sauté 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add sausage; continue to sauté, about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until vegetables and sausage begin to brown. Add carrot; set aside.
- With slotted spoon, remove about 3/4 cup potato pieces and add to skillet. In electric blender, blend remaining potatoes and liquid until smooth, being careful to hold blender lid down with kitchen towel; return to saucepan. Add contents of skillet; mix in enough milk for consistency desired. Heat to simmering. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 6 cups.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 357
- Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 24mg
- Sodium 587mg
- Carbohydrate 54g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 15g