Coffee-Spice Chicken and Fruit-Basil Salsa
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3cups seedless watermelon cubes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1large ripe nectarine, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons instant coffee
- 1tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 8-- skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1. In medium bowl, combine watermelon, nectarine, red onion, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate while preparing chicken. Makes about 4 cups salsa.
2. Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
3. In large bowl, with spoon or fingers, press coffee to pulverize. Add ginger, oil, allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Add chicken and toss to evenly coat with spice mix¬ture (you may need to pat spice mixture onto chicken with fingers).
4. Place chicken breasts on hot grill rack. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with tip of knife, turning once. Transfer chicken to cut¬ting board and let rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, stir basil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt into salsa. Slice chicken crosswise and serve with salsa on the side.
Reprinted with permission from Light and Healthy Cooking by The Editors of Good Housekeeping, Hearst Books.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 235
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 99mg
- Sodium 310mg
- Fiber 1g