Coffee Pound Cake with Cardamom
- Yield 10 servings
A mild coffee flavor and hint of cardamon spice make this cake one for the recipe box.
This cake has a very mild coffee flavor. Leave the coffee extract out of the batter for a vanilla cake.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, plus a pinch
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee extract (or 1 teaspoon espresso powder dissolved in 1 teaspoon water)
- 1/3 cup mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cardamom.
- Combine yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, coffee extract and oil; whisk well. Slowly stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a cake tester placed in the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Place 1/4 cup brewed coffee in a saucepan. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. When cake is done, let cool in pan 10 minutes. Place cake on a wire rack over a sheet pan. While cake is warm, poke holes in top of cake, pour coffee mixture over top and allow it to soak in. Let cool.
- To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons of brewed coffee and a pinch of cardamom, stirring until smooth. Add more sugar if necessary to reach spreading consistency. When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over cake.