Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- -- Salt to taste
- 3 -- egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 pounds medium peeled shrimp
- To prepare salsa: In bowl, combine all ingredients. Makes 2 cups.
- Preheat oven 400F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray
- To prepare shrimp: In shallow bowl, combine cornstarch, cayenne and salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, about 2 minutes. Place coconut on plate.
- Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture, dip into egg whites, and roll in coconut. Place shrimp on prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn shrimp, and continue baking another 5 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are done. Serve with Pineapple Salsa.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.