Coconut Shortcakes with Mango, Kiwi and Raspberries
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
A delightful combination of colorful tropical fresh fruit and raspberries take homemade shortcakes beyond the usual strawberries. For an extra kick of tropical flavor, sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts.
These shortcakes also are wonderful with a blueberry sauce and walnuts sprinkled on the top.
- 3 medium ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine mango, kiwifruit and raspberries. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add ginger and coconut. Add vanilla and milk.
- With a 1/3-cup measure or ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on tops.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly colored and firm. Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Break shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon fruit and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen
For a complete menu featuring Coconut Shortcakes, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.