Coconut Shortcakes with Fresh Summer Fruit
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
A delightful combination of colorful fruit takes homemade shortcakes beyond strawberries.
These shortcakes also are wonderful with a blueberry sauce and walnuts sprinkled on the top.
- 3 medium ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine mango, kiwifruit and raspberries. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add ginger and coconut. Add vanilla and milk.
- With a 1/3-cup measure or ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on tops.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly colored and firm. Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Break shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon fruit and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen
For a complete menu featuring Coconut Shortcakes, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.