Coconut Refrigerator Cookies
- Yield 2 to 3 dozen
These coconut cookies are crispy and delicious.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 -- egg or 2 yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup coconut, flaked or shredded
- In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, cream margarine, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract to sugar mixture; then blend in coconut. Constantly blending, add sugar mixture to flour mixture slowly.
- Shape dough in 1 1/2-inch rolls and wrap in wax paper or foil. Chill several hours, overnight, or freeze. When ready to bake, cut in 1/8 to 1/4-inch slices. (Thin slices are crispier.) Bake on oiled cookie sheets. Bake at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies should be golden brown and cooled on racks.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Enid’s Stir Ups (Enid, Oklahoma, 1982).