Coconut Raisin Flax Granola
- Yield 8 servings
Oats, sunflower seeds, coconut and almonds are toasted, sweetened with honey and raisins and then baked until crisp.
Cut the granola into pieces and eat it on the go as you start your day.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberry flax seed meal*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut, shredded
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup** or 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine alternative or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/5 cups raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, flax meal, coconut, almond pieces and pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the brown rice syrup or honey, brown sugar, margarine, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Grease another baking sheet.
- Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven. Reduce the oven to 300F.
- As soon as the oats are out of the oven, combine the oat mixture, the syrup mixture and the raisins in a large bowl. Stir to combine and pour the mixture onto the greased baking sheet, making sure that the mixture is evenly distributed as you spread it out.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until granola is toasted and fragrant. Remove from the oven and allow granola cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
* Blueberry-flavored flax seed meal can be found in health food stores or in the health food section of some grocery stores. Plain flax seed meal can be substituted.
** Brown rice syrup is a natural sweetener made from malted brown rice. It can be found in health food stores. Honey can be substituted.
Recipe by Lindsay of Cook. Vegan. Lover.