Coconut Raisin Flax Granola
- Yield: 8 servings
Cut the granola into pieces and eat it on the go as you start your day.
- 2cups rolled oats
- 1/2cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2cup blueberry flax seed meal*
- 1/4cup unsweetened dried coconut, shredded
- 1/4cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2cup brown rice syrup** or 1/2 cup honey
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 2tablespoons dairy-free margarine alternative or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1 1/5cups raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, flax meal, coconut, almond pieces and pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the brown rice syrup or honey, brown sugar, margarine, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Grease another baking sheet.
- Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven. Reduce the oven to 300F.
- As soon as the oats are out of the oven, combine the oat mixture, the syrup mixture and the raisins in a large bowl. Stir to combine and pour the mixture onto the greased baking sheet, making sure that the mixture is evenly distributed as you spread it out.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until granola is toasted and fragrant. Remove from the oven and allow granola cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
* Blueberry-flavored flax seed meal can be found in health food stores or in the health food section of some grocery stores. Plain flax seed meal can be substituted.
** Brown rice syrup is a natural sweetener made from malted brown rice. It can be found in health food stores. Honey can be substituted.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 463
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Sodium 209mg
- Potassium 488mg
- Carbohydrate 76g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 38g
- Protein 10g