Coconut Puff Cupcakes
- Yield 1
This classic cupcake combines rich chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream frosting piled high and showered in flaky coconut.
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Real California milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted Real California butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted Real California butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour insides of 12 muffin cups or insert paper liners.
- To prepare cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together brown and granulated sugar, flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, lemon juice, water and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Evenly divide batter between cupcake molds. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting: With electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add powdered sugar in three additions, beating well after each addition; scrape down bowl with spatula as necessary. Mix in vanilla extract. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle shredded coconut over each cupcake.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board