Coconut Curry Shrimp
- Yield 5 servings
A tasty, colorful and healthy meal. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp (16-20 count), shelled and deveined
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14 ounce) lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 1 box (8 ounce) sugar snap peas, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- -- Zest of 1 lime, optional
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Combine the flour and pepper in a shallow bowl. Coat the shrimp in the flour mixture, shake off the excess and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp for 1 minute per side and transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, and curry paste, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar snap peas and continue simmering until the veggies are just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet along with the lime juice, salt, and lime zest as desired. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the rice.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com