- Yield 2 servings
We love this dish with garlicky grilled shrimp or beef. Or add a can of garbanzo beans for a hearty main dish.
Meg Letson, of Scottsboro, Ala., first prepared this dish on a 3-inch backpacking stove during a winter trek of Alabama’s 110-mile Pinhoti Trail. Now she’s teaching kids the joys of cooking on the trail through her adventure company, Nomad Backcountry Adventures.
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat in a 6-cup saucepan. Add garlic and olive oil. Stir in couscous, apricots, raisins, curry powder, cayenne and salt. Bring to a boil again and then remove from heat. Cover with lid and allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with pistachios, coconut and onions.
—Recipe by Meg Letson, Scottsboro, Ala.