Coconut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Yield: servings
- 1/2cup coconut milk
- 2tablespoons fish sauce (divided)
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon grated fresh lime zest
- 1teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2teaspoon chili garlic sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2pounds ground chicken
- 3tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2-- egg whites
- 1/3cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/3cup panko crumbs
- 1/4cup chopped green onions
- 1/4cup chopped basil
- 2teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1cup mung bean sprouts
- 2-- carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4cup small fresh mint leaves
- 12-- bibb or romaine heart lettuce leaves
1. To prepare the dipping sauce, combine coconut milk, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, lime zest, ginger and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
2. Place the chicken in a large bowl; add the remaining tablespoon fish sauce, sweet chili sauce, egg whites, coconut, panko, green onions, basil and garlic, mixing well to combine. Form mixture into 12 meatballs.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
4. Toss together the bean sprouts, carrots, and mint and in a medium bowl.
5. To serve, arrange some of the bean sprout mixture on a lettuce leaf. Top with a meatball and drizzle with dipping sauce. Serve additional sauce on the side.
Makes 12 wraps (4 -6 servings)