Coconut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Yield servings
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 -- egg whites
- 1/3 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 -- carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 12 -- bibb or romaine heart lettuce leaves
1. To prepare the dipping sauce, combine coconut milk, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, lime zest, ginger and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
2. Place the chicken in a large bowl; add the remaining tablespoon fish sauce, sweet chili sauce, egg whites, coconut, panko, green onions, basil and garlic, mixing well to combine. Form mixture into 12 meatballs.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
4. Toss together the bean sprouts, carrots, and mint and in a medium bowl.
5. To serve, arrange some of the bean sprout mixture on a lettuce leaf. Top with a meatball and drizzle with dipping sauce. Serve additional sauce on the side.
Makes 12 wraps (4 -6 servings)