Coconut and Sweet Potato Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 15 minutes
- Cook 65 minutes
A mixture of sweet potatoes and pumpkin fills this gingersnap crust.
Be sure to toast the coconut before sprinkling on top of the pie.
- 1 recipe Gingersnap Crust
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes in syrup, drained and mashed
- 3/4 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- To prepare filling, combine mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin, sugar, eggs, coconut milk, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a bowl; whisk until smooth. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes into the bottom of the cooled Gingersnap Crust. Gently pour pumpkin mixture over coconut. Bake on a baking sheet until the filling is just set, 60 to 65 minutes. (Note: If the crust around the edges of the pie begins to get too brown, loosely cover the edges with aluminum foil.)
- While pie bakes, place remaining 1/2 cup coconut in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Remove pie from oven and set on a wire rack. Immediately sprinkle with cooled toasted coconut and let pie to cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
Recipe by David Bonom