Coconut and Almond Brownies
- Yield 16 servings
Chocolate brownies are layered with a cream cheese and coconut mixture then topped with crunchy almonds.
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 2/3 cups flaked coconut
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- Reserve 16 whole almonds. Chop remaining almonds.
- Cream 2 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour and coconut. Add 1/3 cup chopped almonds; mix well.
- Combine 5 ounces chocolate and 1/4 cup butter in saucepan. Cook over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. Add 2 eggs; mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add remiaing chopped almonds; mix well.
- Spread chocolate mixture in greased 8×8-inch baking pan. Top with cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved almonds.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until edges pull from sides of pan. Drizzle with 1 ounce melted chocolate.
- Cool in pan. Cut into squares.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s The Best of Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia, 1994).